A very few picks live from the Stella Azzurra Tournament, the first Qualifying Event for the Nike International Junior Tournament that will be held in Berlin this year.
- The two teams that are qualified for Berlin are known: Kalise Gran Canaria and Montepaschi Siena. The first ones overcame Zalgiris Kaunas by going for an impressive third quarter. Zalgiris came back to 3 points but could not handle to take the lead. Gran Canaria has a very interesting (foreign) frontcourt while Zalgiris looked a bit tired. Montepaschi Siena beat Virtus Bologna in the best game of the day behind a very nice team effort.
- Benetton Treviso looked a bit like the biggest disappointment of the tournament. Strange coaching decisions and an incapacity to give the ball to their 2m23 tall Maltese Center Samuel Deguara made them lose against the (for me surprising) hosts of Stella Azzurra.
- Olimpija Ljubljana brought home an easy win over Benetton Fribourg but the result is somehow a disappointment for the Slovenian team that came to Italy to win it all. The Swiss on the other hand have a very interesting 1992 born guard rotation.
- ALBA Berlin destroyed Marroussi defensively in the poorest game I saw today. The German team is one of the losers of the tournament system as they lost by only 2 to Stella Azzura which are now playing for the 5th spot. But the system is the same for everyone.
- A lot more to come in the next days about this exciting tournament which is among the strongest of the three qualifying events.